What changes have you made in the light of the Covid-19 Pandemic?
- At The Sylvan Pet Hotel, we take biosecurity extremely seriously. We have remained open throughout the pandemic but, due to social distancing rules, we can no longer welcome "pet parents" onto the premises or into the hotel itself.
We have a safe and secure, "contactless drop off/collection" procedure for our guests. We have also introduced "virtual viewing by appointment" for anyone would would like to meet me and view the accommodation prior to booking for the first time.
What does Sylvan mean?
-The Adjective Sylvan relates to a shady wooded area. The word suggests a peaceful pleasant feeling, as though you were far away from the noise of modern life.
Our small animal pet boarding facility is located beside and within a small area of woodland within easy reach of Cannock, Wolverhampton, Stoke, Penkridge & Stafford- hence the name.
Whats the booking process like?
- Upon making an enquiry, I will send you an email with links to our online booking system which needs to be completed to make a client record. From there you can make a reservation. This provides me with details such as age, breed, gender and important details such as their daily routine, food types, amount of food and veterinary care details. Also who to contact in an emergency. Provided we have vacancy, I will send out a reservation confirmation email with a request for deposit payment. All reservations are valid for 48hrs without payment but expire after that if deposits are not received by bank transfer.
How far will your pet limo service travel to collect a pet?
- The Pick up and drop off service is available and charged for on a case by case basis- please make an enquiry to receive a quote for this service. Prices start from just £5. Our usual limit is up to 30 miles from the hotel but further can be arranged depending on the circumstances..
How do I make payment?
- We request a £20 deposit by bank transfer to secure a reservation and confirm a booking (This serves as an administration fee to process your booking and is non-refundable). The balance is payable by BANK TRANSFER ONLY and payment in full is required 7 days prior to check in. We do not accept cash or any credit or debit card payments.
What happens if my pet becomes Ill?
- If your pet becomes ill I will take them to a local vet for treatment– I will endeavor to contact the owner first but whereby I am unable to make contact I will make the decision as to the best care and treatment for your pet. We have access to a 24/7 online vet service for immediate assessment which can then be backed up by our network of local veterinary practices. The requirement for veterinary care can be waived by written instruction. Any costs from the vet and out of pocket expenses incurred by the Sylvan pet hotel will be reimbursed by the owner at the earliest opportunity.
Do animals require vaccination?
-With bunnies I ask for them to be up to date with the recommended vaccinations for Myxomatosis and Rabbit Haemorrhagic disease. These are readily available at vets ( called Nobivac). AND.......
There is a second vaccination required for Rabbit Haemorrhagic disease 2 (RHD2) which is a stronger strain of the disease but not regularly available at all vets so you may need to visit a second vet for this vaccination before boarding. (This second vaccination is called either Filavac or Eravac).
N.B. There is also a new combined vaccination for 3 in 1 protection called Nobivac-Myxo RHD+. Please ask your vets which vaccination program would be most suitable for your bunny.
-Only bunnies with up-to-date vaccinations for all three diseases (Mysomatosis, RHDV1 and RHDV2) can be permitted. Please email a photo of the up-to-date vaccination card/s to us prior to boarding as proof of vaccination.
-Should your pet become unwell whilst staying with us, we will endevour to contact your vet for advice. If your animal needs medical attention, we will take them to our vet, any bills are to be paid in full at collection.
Will you take my pet if they are poorly on the day of check in?
- I am afraid I reserve the right to refuse boarding to any animal that is showing signs of illness or pregnancy on arrival.
What do you offer for pet welfare?
- I appreciate that as pets age they may require pain or anti inflammatory meds. I am able to administer any long term medication that your pet may require. (please leave ample medication required for the duration of their stay and instructions for its administration at the time of check in).
-Should you pet require a freshen up during their stay- for example a bunny with a soiled bottom, we will gently bathe them using just tepid water. This is an important role in preventing 'fly strike' and we feel it is important that we act quickly in this situation - just as we would for our own pets.
-Your pet will be closely observed daily so that they can enjoy some attention and we can cast an eye over them and ensure they are in good health and have everything they need.
Do you provide all the food?
-We provide an unlimited supply of hay and water for your rabbit or guinea pig and a tasty treat of fresh greens will be provided daily.
However, for dry food, we cannot stock all brands of dry food as they will lose their nutrition if opened too long. Please bring a supply of your pets preferred dry food with you.
If your pet has any special requirements for their "treats" or requires certain specific fresh fruit/veg, please feel free to bring this with them as we are happy to prepare special meals for them.
Animals other than rabbits, guinea pigs and hens will be required to bring all their own food.